- Open Access
Improvements of the bounds for Ramanujan constant function
© Chu et al. 2016
- Received: 19 April 2016
- Accepted: 2 August 2016
- Published: 12 August 2016
In the article, we establish several inequalities for the Ramanujan constant function \(R(x)=-2\gamma-\psi(x)-\psi(1-x)\) on the interval \((0, 1/2]\), where \(\psi(x)\) is the classical psi function and \(\gamma=0.577215\cdots\) is the Euler-Mascheroni constant.
- Ramanujan constant function
- gamma function
- psi function
- Euler-Mascheroni constant
It is well known that the gamma and psi functions have many applications in the areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering technology. Recently, the bounds for the gamma and psi functions have attracted the interest of many researchers. In particular, many remarkable inequalities for the psi function \(\psi(x)\) can be found in the literature [1–15].
The main purpose of this paper is to improve inequality (1.2).
In order to prove our main results we need several lemmas, which we present in this section.
(See , Section 3, in the proof of Theorem 5, pp. 2500-2502)
We clearly see that both the first and the second inequalities in (2.8) become to equations if \(x=\pi/2\). If \(x=0\), then the first inequality of (2.8) also holds and the second inequality of (2.8) becomes to equation.
The research was supported by the Natural Science Foundation of China under Grants 11371125, 61374086 and 11401191, and the Natural Science Foundation of Zhejiang Province under Grant LY13A010004.
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.
- Alzer, H: On some inequalities for the gamma and psi functions. Math. Comput. 66(217), 373-389 (1997) MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Palumbo, B: Determinantal inequalities for the psi function. Math. Inequal. Appl. 2(2), 223-231 (1999) MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Qiu, S-L, Vuorinen, M: Some properties of the gamma and psi functions, with applications. Math. Comput. 74(250), 723-742 (2005) MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Simić, S: Inequalities for Ψ function. Math. Inequal. Appl. 10(1), 45-48 (2007) MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Wu, L-L, Chu, Y-M: An inequality for the psi functions. Appl. Math. Sci. 2(9-12), 545-550 (2008) MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Chu, Y-M, Zhang, X-M, Tang, X-M: An elementary inequality for psi function. Bull. Inst. Math. Acad. Sin. 3(3), 373-380 (2008) MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Wu, L-L, Chu, Y-M, Tang, X-M: Inequalities for the generalized logarithmic mean and psi functions. Int. J. Pure Appl. Math. 48(1), 117-122 (2008) MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Chen, C-P, Srivastava, HM: Some inequalities and monotonicity properties associated with the gamma and psi functions and the Barnes G-function. Integral Transforms Spec. Funct. 22(1), 1-15 (2011) MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Mortici, C: Accurate estimates of the gamma function involving the PSI function. Numer. Funct. Anal. Optim. 32(4), 469-476 (2011) MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Batir, N: Sharp bounds for the psi function and harmonic numbers. Math. Inequal. Appl. 14(4), 917-925 (2011) MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Chen, C-P, Batir, N: Some inequalities and monotonicity properties associated with the gamma and psi function. Appl. Math. Comput. 218(17), 8217-8225 (2012) MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Guo, B-N, Qi, F: Sharp inequalities for the psi function and harmonic numbers. Analysis 34(2), 201-208 (2014) MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Elezović, N: Estimations of psi function and harmonic numbers. Appl. Math. Comput. 258, 192-205 (2015) MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Yang, Z-H, Chu, Y-M, Zhang, X-H: Sharp bounds for psi function. Appl. Math. Comput. 268(17), 1055-1063 (2015) MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Chen, C-P: Inequalities and asymptotic expansions for the psi function and the Euler-Mascheroni constant. J. Number Theory 163, 596-607 (2016) MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Qiu, S-L, Vuorinen, M: Special functions in geometric function theory. In: Handbook of Complex Analysis: Geometric Function Theory, vol. 2, pp. 621-659. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2005) View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wang, M-K, Chu, Y-M, Qiu, S-L: Sharp bounds for generalized elliptic integrals of the first kind. J. Math. Anal. Appl. 429(2), 744-757 (2015) MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Anderson, GD, Vamanamurthy, MK, Vuorinen, M: Conformal Invariants, Inequalities, and Quasiconformal Maps. Wiley, New York (1997) MATHGoogle Scholar
- Anderson, GD, Qiu, S-L, Vamanamurthy, MK, Vuorinen, M: Generalized elliptic integrals and modular equations. Pac. J. Math. 192(1), 1-37 (2000) MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Ivády, P: A note on a gamma function inequality. J. Math. Inequal. 3(3), 227-236 (2009) MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Zhu, L: A general refinement of Jordan-type inequality. Comput. Math. Appl. 55(11), 2498-2505 (2008) MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar