- Open Access
Refinement of an integral inequality
© Zhu; licensee Springer. 2012
- Received: 19 January 2012
- Accepted: 4 May 2012
- Published: 4 May 2012
In this study, we generalize and sharpen an integral inequality raised in theory for convex and star-shaped sets and relax the conditions on the integrand.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000): 26D15
- lower and upper bounds
- refinement of an integral inequality
- a monotone form of l'Hospital's rule
- Mitrinović-Pečarić inequality
In the study , which investigated convex and star-shaped sets, the following interesting result was obtained.
In this note, we shall show that the convexity of the function p(t) may be replaced by the condition that is increasing, sharpen inequality (1), and obtain the following a general result using a monotone form of l'Hospital's rule, a elementary method, and Mitrinović-Pečarić inequality, respectively.
holds so that
(i) whenis increasing, we have, ;
(ii) whenis decreasing, we have, .
Furthermore, these paired numbers α and β defined in (i) and (ii) are the best constants in (2).
Lemma 1. ([[2–5], A Monotone form of L'Hospital's rule]) Let f, g : [a, b] → ℝ be two continuous functions which are differentiable on (a, b). Further, let on(a, b). Ifis increasing (or decreasing) on (a, b), then the functions and are also increasing (or decreasing) on (a, b).
If f is decreasing the inequalities (3) are reversed.
- (a)When is increasing, we have is also increasing, and is increasing by Lemma 1. At the same time, , and . So we obtain(4)
are the best constants in (4).
When is decreasing, we obtain corresponding result by the same way.
holds. Then the double inequality (5) holds, α and β are the best constants in (6) or (2).
The decreasing case can be proved similarly.
In what follows, we also assume that is increasing.
- (i)The left-side inequality of (7) deduces
- (ii)Let b → 0+ in the right-side inequality of (7), we can obtain
then the left-side inequality of (2) holds.
Let . Since and G(b) = β, we obtain that is α and β are the best constants in (2).
- Fischer P, Slodkowski Z: Mean value inequalities for convex and star-shaped sets. Aequationes Math 2005, 70: 213–224. 10.1007/s00010-005-2797-3MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Anderson GD, Vamanamurthy MK, Vuorinen M: Inequalities for quasiconformal mappings in space. Pacific J Math 1993, 160: 1–18.MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Vamanamurthy MK, Vuorinen M: Inequalities for means. J Math Anal Appl 1994, 183: 155–166. 10.1006/jmaa.1994.1137MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Anderson GD, Vamanamurthy MK, Vuorinen M: Conformal Invariants, Inequalities, and Quasiconformal Maps. Wiley, New York; 1997.Google Scholar
- Anderson GD, Qiu S-L, Vamanamurthy MK, Vuorinen M: Generalized elliptic integral and modular equations. Pacific J Math 2000, 192: 1–37. 10.2140/pjm.2000.192.1MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Mitrinović DS, Pečarić JE: Monotone funkcije i njihove nejednakosti I. Naucna knjiga, Belgrade; 1990:294.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.