We’re sorry, something doesn't seem to be working properly.
Please try refreshing the page. If that doesn't work, please contact us so we can address the problem.
Schur-convexity of the complete elementary symmetric function
© Kaizhong Guan 2006
- Received: 2 October 2004
- Accepted: 27 January 2005
- Published: 7 February 2006
We prove that the complete elementary symmetric function and the function are Schur-convex functions in , where are nonnegative integers, , . For which, some inequalities are established by use of the theory of majorization. A problem given by K. V. Menon (Duke Mathematical Journal 35 (1968), 37–45) is also solved.
- Nonnegative Integer
- Symmetric Function
- Mathematical Journal
- Elementary Symmetric Function
- Duke Mathematical Journal
- Beckenbach EF, Bellman R: Inequalities, Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete, N. F.. Volume 30. Springer, Berlin; 1961:xii+198.Google Scholar
- Detemple DW, Robertson JM: On generalized symmetric means of two variables. Univerzitet u Beogradu. Publikacije Elektrotehničkog Fakulteta. Serija Matematika i Fizika 1979, (634–677):236–238.Google Scholar
- Guan K: Inequalities of generalized-order symmetric mean. Journal of Chongqing Teachers College (Natural Science Edition) 1998,15(3):40–43.Google Scholar
- Hardy GH, Littlewood JE, Pólya G: Some simple inequalities satisfied by convex functions. Messenger of Mathematics 1929, 58: 145–152.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Kuang JC: Applied Inequalities. 2nd edition. Human education Press, Changsha; 1993:xxvi+794.Google Scholar
- Marshall AW, Olkin I: Inequalities: Theory of Majorization and Its Applications, Mathematics in Science and Engineering. Volume 143. Academic Press, New York; 1979:xx+569.Google Scholar
- Menon KV: Inequalities for symmetric functions. Duke Mathematical Journal 1968, 35: 37–45. 10.1215/S0012-7094-68-03504-7MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Mitrinović DS: Analytic Inequalities, Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wisenschaften. Volume 1965. Springer, New York; 1970:xii+400.Google Scholar
- Roberts AW, Varberg DE: Convex Functions, Pure and Applied Mathematics. Volume 57. Academic Press, New York; 1973:xx+300.Google Scholar
- Shi HN: Refinement and generalization of a class of inequalities for symmetric functions. Mathematics in Practice and Theory 1999,29(4):81–84.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Zhang X-M: Optimization of Schur-convex functions. Mathematical Inequalities & Applications 1998,1(3):319–330.MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.