- Research Article
- Open Access
Superstability and Stability of the Pexiderized Multiplicative Functional Equation
© YoungWhan Lee. 2010
- Received: 14 August 2009
- Accepted: 28 December 2009
- Published: 12 January 2010
- Banach Space
- Positive Integer
- Vector Space
- Commutative Group
- Functional Equation
The superstability of the functional equation was studied by Baker et al. . They proved that if is a functional on a real vector space satisfying for some fixed and all , then is either bounded or else for all . This result was genealized with a simplified proof by Baker  as follows.
Theorem 1.1 (Baker ).
A different generalization of the result of Baker et al. was given by Székelyhidi . It involves an interesting generalization of the class of bounded functions on a group or semigroup and may be stated as follows.
Theorem 1.2 (Székelyhidi ).
In this paper, we prove the superstability of the Pexiderized multiplicative functional equation (PMFE)
for all and for a function with some coditions, then is bounded or else is an exponential and . This is a generalization of the result of Székelyhidi. Also we investigate the stability of the Pexiderized multipicative functional equation (1.3) in the sense of Ger .
The following functions satisfy conditions (2.1) and (2.2) above.
In 1940, Ulam gave a wide-ranging talk in the Mathematical Club of the University of Wisconsin in which he discussed a number of important unsolved problems . One of those was the question concerning the stability of homomorphisms.
In the next year, Hyers  answered the Ulam's question for the case of the additive mapping on the Banach spaces . Thereafter, the result of Hyers has been generalized by Rassias . Since then, the stability problems of various functional equations have been investigated by many authors (see [6, 8–18]).
Ger  suggested another type of stability for the exponential equation in the following type:
In this section, the stability problem for the Pexiderized multiplicative functional equation in the following form:
will be investigated.
The following functions satisfy condition (3.3) above.
- Baker JA, Lawrence J, Zorzitto F: The stability of the equation . Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1979, 74(2):242–246.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Baker JA: The stability of the cosine equation. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1980, 80(3):411–416. 10.1090/S0002-9939-1980-0580995-3MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Székelyhidi L: On a theorem of Baker, Lawrence and Zorzitto. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1982, 84(1):95–96.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ger R: Superstability is not natural. Rocznik Naukowo-Dydaktyczny WSP Krakkowie 1993, 159(13):109–123.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ulam SM: Problems in Modern Mathematics. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA; 1964:xvii+150.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Hyers DH: On the stability of the linear functional equation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 1941, 27: 222–224. 10.1073/pnas.27.4.222MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Rassias ThM: On the stability of the linear mapping in Banach spaces. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1978, 72(2):297–300. 10.1090/S0002-9939-1978-0507327-1MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Forti GL: Hyers-Ulam stability of functional equations in several variables. Aequationes Mathematicae 1995, 50(1–2):143–190. 10.1007/BF01831117MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Hyers DH, Rassias ThM: Approximate homomorphisms. Aequationes Mathematicae 1992, 44(2–3):125–153. 10.1007/BF01830975MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Hyers DH, Isac G, Rassias ThM: Stability of Functional Equations in Several Variables, Progress in Nonlinear Differential Equations and Their Applications, 34. Birkhäuser, Boston, Mass, USA; 1998:vi+313.View ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Jun KW, Kim GH, Lee YW: Stability of generalized gamma and beta functional equations. Aequationes Mathematicae 2000, 60(1–2):15–24. 10.1007/s000100050132MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Jung S-M: On a general Hyers-Ulam stability of gamma functional equation. Bulletin of the Korean Mathematical Society 1997, 34(3):437–446.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Jung S-M: On the stability of gamma functional equation. Results in Mathematics 1998, 33(3–4):306–309.View ArticleMathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kim GH, Lee YW: The stability of the beta functional equation. Babeş-Bolyai. Mathematica 2000, 45(1):89–96.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Lee YW: On the stability of a quadratic Jensen type functional equation. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2002, 270(2):590–601. 10.1016/S0022-247X(02)00093-8MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Lee YW: The stability of derivations on Banach algebras. Bulletin of the Institute of Mathematics. Academia Sinica 2000, 28(2):113–116.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Lee YW, Choi BM: The stability of Cauchy's gamma-beta functional equation. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2004, 299(2):305–313. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2003.12.050MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Rassias ThM: The problem of S. M. Ulam for approximately multiplicative mappings. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2000, 246(2):352–378. 10.1006/jmaa.2000.6788MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.