Some retarded nonlinear integral inequalities and their applications in retarded differential equations
© Wang; licensee Springer. 2012
Received: 4 February 2012
Accepted: 29 March 2012
Published: 29 March 2012
In this article, we discuss some generalized retarded nonlinear integral inequalities, which not only include nonlinear compound function of unknown function but also include retard items, and give upper bound estimation of the unknown function by integral inequality technique. This estimation can be used as tool in the study of differential equations with the initial conditions.
2000 MSC: 26D10; 26D15; 26D20; 34A12; 34A40.
Keywordsintegral inequality integral inequality technique Retarded differential equation estimation
Gronwall-Bellman inequalities [1, 2] and their various generalizations can be used important tools in the study of existence, uniqueness, boundedness, stability, and other qualitative properties of solutions of differential equations, integral equations, and integral-differential equations.
Then, 0 ≤ u(t) ≤ ah exp(bh), ∀t ∈ [a,a + h].
implies that .
such that .
for all t ∈ I.
In this article, we discuss some retarded nonlinear integral inequalities, where linear case u(t) in integral functions in  is changed into the nonlinear case ϕ(u(t)), and the non-retarded case t in  is changed into retarded case α(t), and give upper bound estimation of the unknown function by integral inequality technique.
2 Main result
In this section, we discuss some retarded integral inequalities of Gronwall-Bellman type. Throughout this article, let I = [0, ∞).
Remark 1. If α(t) = t, φ(u(s)) = u(s), then Theorem 1 reduces Lemma 4.
for all t ∈ I. This completes the proof of the Theorem 1.
Remark 2. If α(t) = t,φ(u(t)) = u p (t),ψ(u(t)) = up+1(t)/(p + 1), by Theorem 2, we can obtain the result similar to Lemma 5.
Using the relation u(t) ≤ z(t) ≤ w(t), we can obtain the estimation (2.17) of (2.16).
where f(t) is nonnegative real-valued continuous function defined on I.
Applying Theorem 1 to (3.33), we get the estimation (3.29). This completes the proof of the Corollary 1.
The authors are very grateful to the editor and the referees for their helpful comments and valuable suggestions. This research was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Project No. 11161018), Guangxi Natural Science Foundation (Project No. 0991265), Scientific Research Foundation of the Education Department of Guangxi Province of China (Project No. 201106LX599), and the Key Discipline of Applied Mathematics of Hechi University of China (200725).
- Gronwall TH: Note on the derivatives with respect to a parameter of the solutions of a system of differential equations. Ann Math 1919, 20: 292–296. 10.2307/1967124MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bellman R: The stability of solutions of linear differential equations. Duke Math J 1943, 10: 643–647. 10.1215/S0012-7094-43-01059-2MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lipovan O: A retarded Gronwall-like inequality and its applications. J Math Anal Appl 2000, 252: 389–401. 10.1006/jmaa.2000.7085MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Abdeldaim A, Yakout M: On some new integral inequalities of Gronwall-Bellman-Pachpatte type. Appl Math Comput 2011, 217: 7887–7899. 10.1016/j.amc.2011.02.093MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Agarwal RP, Deng S, Zhang W: Generalization of a retarded Gronwall-like inequality and its applications. Appl Math Comput 2005, 165: 599–612. 10.1016/j.amc.2004.04.067MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bihari IA: A generalization of a lemma of Bellman and its application to uniqueness problem of differential equation. Acta Math Acad Sci Hung 1956, 7: 81–94. 10.1007/BF02022967MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Pachpatte BG: Inequalities for Differential and Integral Equations. Academic Press London; 1998.Google Scholar
- Kim YH: On some new integral inequalities for functions in one and two variables. Acta Math Sinica 2005, 21: 423–434. 10.1007/s10114-004-0463-7View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Cheung WS: Some new nonlinear inequalities and applications to boundary value problems. Nonlinear Anal 2006, 64: 2112–2128. 10.1016/j.na.2005.08.009MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wang WS: A generalized retarded Gronwall-like inequality in two variables and applications to BVP. Appl Math Comput 2007, 191: 144–154. 10.1016/j.amc.2007.02.099MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wang WS, Shen C: On a generalized retarded integral inequality with two variables. J Inequal Appl 2008, 2008: 9. Article ID 518646Google Scholar
- Wang WS, Li Z, Li Y, Huang Y: Nonlinear retarded integral inequalities with two variables and applications. J Inequal Appl 2010, 2010: 8. Article ID 240790MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Wang WS, Luo RC, Li Z: A new nonlinear retarded integral inequality and its application. J Inequal Appl 2010, 2010: 8. Article ID 462163MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.