- Research Article
- Open Access
Sharpening and Generalizations of Shafer's Inequality for the Arc Tangent Function
© Feng Qi et al. 2009
- Received: 18 March 2009
- Accepted: 7 July 2009
- Published: 4 August 2009
We sharpen and generalize Shafer's inequality for the arc tangent function. From this, some known results are refined.
- Direct Consequence
- Lower Bound
- Direct Calculation
- Minimum Point
- Lower Curve
In , the following three proofs for the inequality (1.1) were provided.
Solution by Grinstein
Solution by Marsh
Solution by Konhauser
The substitution transforms the given inequality into , which is a special case of an inequality discussed on [3, pages 105-106] .
The aim of this paper is to sharpen and generalize inequalities (1.1) and (1.5).
Our results may be stated as the following theorems.
As direct consequences of Theorem 1.1, the following inequalities may be derived.
Before proving our theorems, we give several remarks on them.
It is easy to verify that the right-hand side inequalities in (2.9) and (2.10) are included in the inequality (2.8).
By the famous software Mathematica, it is revealed that the inequality (2.7) contains (2.6) and the left-hand side inequality in (2.9), and that the inequality (2.7) and the left-hand side inequality in (2.10) are not included in each other.
For possible applications of the double inequality (2.11) in the theory of approximations, the accuracy of bounds in (2.11) for the arc tangent function is described by Figures 1 and 2.
This paper is a revised version of the preprint .
Now we are in a position to prove our theorems.
Proof of Theorem 1.1.
when , the derivative is positive and the function is increasing on . By (3.8), it follows that the function is positive on . Thus, the derivative is positive and the function is strictly increasing on ;
When , the derivative is positive and the function is strictly increasing on . Since , the function is positive, and so the derivative is positive, on for . Consequently, when , the function is strictly increasing on . The proof of Theorem 1.1 is complete.
Proof of Theorem 1.2.
By the increasing monotonicity in Theorem 1.1, it follows that for , which can be rewritten as (1.9) for . Similarly, the reversed version of the inequality (1.9) and the right-hand side inequality in (1.10) can be procured.
The authors appreciate the anonymous referees for their valuable comments that improve this manuscript. The first author was partially supported by the China Scholarship Council.
- Thorp EO, Fried M, Shafer RE, et al.: Problems and solutions: elementary problems: E1865-E1874. The American Mathematical Monthly 1966,73(3):309–310. 10.2307/2315358MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Shafer RE, Grinstein LS, Marsh DCB, Konhauser JDE: Problems and solutions: solutions of elementary problems: E1867. The American Mathematical Monthly 1967,74(6):726–727.MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Mitrinović DS: Elementary Inequalities. P. Noordhoff, Groningen, The Netherlands; 1964:159.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Kuang J-Ch: Chángyòng Bùděngshì (Applied Inequalities), Shāndōng Kēxué Jìshù Chūbăn Shè. 3rd edition. Shandong Science and Technology Press, Ji'nan City, Shandong Province, China; 2004.Google Scholar
- Mitrinović DS: Analytic Inequalities. Springer, New York, NY, USA; 1970:xii+400.View ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Guo B-N, Qi F: Sharpening and generalizations of Carlson's double inequality for the arc cosine function. http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.3039
- Qi F, Guo B-N: A concise proof of Oppenheim's double inequality relating to the cosine and sine functions. http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.2511
- Qi F, Guo B-N: Concise sharpening and generalizations of Shafer's inequality for the arc sine function. http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.2588
- Qi F, Guo B-N: Sharpening and generalizations of Shafer-Fink's double inequality for the arc sine function. http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.3036
- Qi F, Guo B-N: Sharpening and generalizations of Shafer's inequality for the arc tangent function. http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.3298
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.