On Logarithmic Convexity for Differences of Power Means
© Slavko Simic 2007
Received: 20 July 2007
Accepted: 17 October 2007
Published: 9 January 2008
We proved a new and precise inequality between the differences of power means. As a consequence, an improvement of Jensen's inequality and a converse of Holder's inequality are obtained. Some applications in probability and information theory are also given.
- Hardy GH, Littlewood JE, Pólya G: Inequalities. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK; 1978.Google Scholar
- Mitrinović DS: Analytic Inequalities, Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wisenschaften, Band 1965. Springer, Berlin, Germany; 1970:xii+400.Google Scholar
- Rossberg H-J, Jesiak B, Siegel G: Analytic Methods of Probability Theory, Mathematische Monographien. Volume 67. Akademie, Berlin, Germany; 1985:311.Google Scholar
- Kullback S, Leibler RA: On information and sufficiency. Annals of Mathematical Statistics 1951,22(1):79–86. 10.1214/aoms/1177729694MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- MacMahon PA: Combinatory Analysis. Chelsea, New York, NY, USA; 1960:xix+302+xix+340.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Pečarić JE, Proschan F, Tong YL: Convex Functions, Partial Orderings, and Statistical Applications, Mathematics in Science and Engineering. Volume 187. Academic Press, Boston, Mass, USA; 1992:xiv+467.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.