Picone-type inequalities for nonlinear elliptic equations with first-order terms and their applications
© Hindawi Publishing Corporation. 2006
Received: 24 February 2004
Accepted: 13 April 2004
Published: 3 January 2006
Picone-type inequalities are established for nonlinear elliptic equations which are generalizations of nonself-adjoint linear elliptic equations, and Sturmian comparison theorems are derived as applications. Oscillation results are also obtained for forced superlinear elliptic equations and superlinear-sublinear elliptic equations.
- Agmon S: Lectures on Elliptic Boundary Value Problems, Van Nostrand Mathematical Studies, no. 2. D. Van Nostrand, New Jersey; 1965:v+291.Google Scholar
- Allegretto W: A comparison theorem for nonlinear operators. Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa. Seris III 1971, 25: 41–46.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- El-Sayed MA: An oscillation criterion for a forced second order linear differential equation. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1993,118(3):813–817.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Jaroš J, Kusano T: Second-order semilinear differential equations with external forcing terms. Sūrikaisekikenkyūsho Kōkyūroku 1997, (984):191–197.
- Jaroš J, Kusano T, Yoshida N: Forced superlinear oscillations via Picone's identity. Acta Mathematica Universitatis Comenianae. New Series 2000,69(1):107–113.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Jaroš J, Kusano T, Yoshida N: Picone-type inequalities for nonlinear elliptic equations and their applications. Journal of Inequalities and Applications 2001,6(4):387–404. 10.1155/S1025583401000236MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Jaroš J, Kusano T, Yoshida N: Generalized Picone's formula and forced oscillations in quasilinear differential equations of the second order. Universitatis Masarykianae Brunensis. Facultas Scientiarum Naturalium. Archivum Mathematicum 2002,38(1):53–59.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Kreith K: A comparison theorem for general elliptic equations with mixed boundary conditions. Journal of Differential Equations 1970, 8: 537–541. 10.1016/0022-0396(70)90026-4MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Kreith K, Travis CC: Oscillation criteria for selfadjoint elliptic equations. Pacific Journal of Mathematics 1972, 41: 743–753.MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Nasr AH: Sufficient conditions for the oscillation of forced super-linear second order differential equations with oscillatory potential. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1998,126(1):123–125. 10.1090/S0002-9939-98-04354-8MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Picone M: Sui valori eccezionali di un parametro da cui dipende un'equazione differenziale lineare ordinaria del second'ordine. Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa 1909, 11: 1–141.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Protter MH: A comparison theorem for elliptic equations. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1959, 10: 296–299. 10.1090/S0002-9939-1959-0107076-6MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Swanson CA: A comparison theorem for elliptic differential equations. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1966, 17: 611–616. 10.1090/S0002-9939-1966-0201781-2MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.